6/1/10

Zzzzzzz

The feeling of sleepiness when you are not in bed, and can't get there, is the meanest feeling in the world.
~Edgar Watson Howe


If someone were to ask my husband the one thing he finds most annoying about me, I know exactly what he would say: "She sleeps on the couch all the time!" Yes, it's true. I am a perpetual couch napper. I can't help myself! There's something about the couch that seems to lull me to sleep no matter what time of day. The sad part is, it doesn't seem to matter if it's our couch or someone else's. In my defense, there are instances when I make the conscious decision to partake in a quick cat nap; but I must admit, most of the time, my body seems to be acting on it's own agenda and quickly reduces me to a drooling fool. Yes, as if napping on the couch wasn't bad enough, I'm also quite a drooler.

I would say the majority of my naps have not been my intention. The most frustrating part is when I try to fight it. I think everyone has experienced the "fight of sleep" at least once in their lives, so you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. It can almost be a painful experience. You become aware that your eyelids are closing on their own accord, your head is becoming heavy, your breathing starts to become slower and deeper. You manage to shake yourself awake, to pull away from the looming slumber that is peacefully drawing you in. You try readjusting your body position, sitting up straighter, crossing your legs, maybe even engaging in conversation with someone in the room. Inevitably, that sleeping feeling creeps up again, slowly wrapping you in its pleasant, floaty grip. It comes to the point where you have to decide -- is it really worth the fight? What harm would it really do if I were to fall asleep right here, right now? By the time you answer those questions, your body has already decided for you, and you're out like a light.

Because most of my naps happen when our tv is on, I usually fade in and out, incorporating whatever is on tv into my dreams. This is the perfect set up for some wacked-out dreams. Most recently, JC was playing a baseball videogame while I was drooling away beside him. I proceeded to have a dream that I was playing his game and doing quite well. I remember people watching and commenting on my expertise. I eventually went on to win the game, at which point I woke up to see JC had just finished (and won) his game. It's amazing how our body continues to do so many "normal" things while we sleep such as hearing, breathing, and sometimes, talking. Apparently, I've done my far share of making comments about tv shows during my naps.

Maybe someday I will buy a wooden bench to place in our living room, just to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps there is no one to blame except for the soft, cushy, snuggly couch.

2 comments:

susan said...

Oh I don't know. I've certainly passed out at more than my fair share of hard wooden lecture hall desks ;)

Sassy Senior said...

Ahhh yes, snooze & drool, I know it well. The fun part is nodding off in a sitting position while watching tv ! "I'll just close my eyes for a few minutes....." :)