5/31/10

If I were a rich (wo)man...

That money talks
I'll not deny,
I heard it once:
It said, "Goodbye."
~Richard Armour

There are so many things that I want to do, so many places I want to go, and all that's holding me back is money. I find it somewhat disheartening how much money dictates our lives. Sure, there are plenty of
"free" forms of entertainment and "cheap" means of meeting our basic needs, but to truly live without a second thought requires an unlimited supply of money.

So, what would you do if money was no longer a factor? If you woke up tomorrow morning, checked your bank account, an
d saw a beautiful symbol, would you live your life any differently? Let's live in this imaginary world for just a moment and see what I would do, shall we?
1. Wake up my husband (I wake up long before him every morning) by pouncing on the bed much like a jungle puma.
2. Call my parents (probably waking them up, too) and somehow manage to share the good news between shrieks and sobs.
3. Call the bank, just to make sure it's not someone's cruel, cruel joke or perhaps a computer glitch.
4. Begin making a list, prioritizing the necessary payments to be made immediately. The list would most-likely include my car, student loans, credit cards, our house, and any looming debt my parents, my in-laws, or my siblings (both blood and marriage-related) may be currently experiencing.
5. Start booking trips to every continent, strategically planning to visit different regions during the optimal season in order to fully experience the area. For example, Christmas in Australia, summer in Ireland.
6. Completely remodel our house, putting in every bell and whistle we could ever want.
7. Select 6-10 important charities to fully and completely support, and select a different charity each week to make a sizable donation.

Really, the possibilities are endless. It's almost exhausting to think of all I could and would do if it weren't for the minor detail of financial responsibility. But, money is the reality of life, and we must make adjustments in order to live within this reality. I guess money doesn't really dictate our lives, it simply gives us guidelines to live within. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if everyone could do whatever they wanted? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

susan said...

I'd probably reverse #2 and #3. ;)

Travel would definitely be up there, paying off the student loans, buying a house, setting up the parents so they could retire. You're right though that money loses its value if everyone has an unlimited supply. Sad but true.

madre said...

I have had blocks of time with complete financial security and then gone to the polar opposite of not knowing how to get through the month or even week. I have found that the times of financial droughts have brought with them a host of better ways of looking and appreciating things and getting a perspective on life other than "oh poor me". For instance, you must come up with much more creative ways to keep doing "normal" things. Small gifts and gestures mean more to me now because they are not over-shadowed by the blur of excess and blending into the mass of a bunch of "things". However, if I did come into some serious money, I would find it so fun to dole it out to family and friends. I'd love to have the luxury of visiting far away family whenever I felt like it and have a place to stay nearby them. It would be great to retire and not have to worry about medical benefits going away. But for now, I am rich in marriage and family and that's quite fine with me!