6/6/10

Shifting gears

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
~Jules Renard


In the past 48 hours, I have spent more time asleep than I have awake. Yesterday, from the time I originally work up to the time I went to bed was only 11 hours, and there were at least 2 hours of napping that took place. This is a remarkable feat for me, considering it wasn't long ago that I was spending 14+ hours each day just at work, let alone being awake. I feel like last week and half has felt like I giant exhale after a relaxingly deep breath. I know there are things I could be doing, but I'm more content to just sit and soak in the moments with no commitments. Even in my childhood, we were constantly running from one thing to the next, whether it was Campfire Girls and piano lessons, or horse camp and ballet recitals. Even in college, I worked 20 hours a week on top of taking a 18 or 19 credits every term, including summer classes. This is probably this first time in my life that I've felt like I really, truly, honestly have had time to do nothing and not feel guilty.

Of course, I'm not saying this lack of activity is a better choice. I know myself well enough that being busy makes me happy. I enjoy having things to do. Perhaps my new career will allow me to have more things to do that are my choice...like hobbies. I would love to take some cooking classes or maybe even start reading books for pleasure. I'm looking forward to having free weekends with no trainings, workshops, or other important-yet-time-consuming activities. I think there is a big difference between being lazy and simply doing whatever you want to do. I look at this more like my opportunity to stop and smell the roses instead of constantly running so fast that I don't even notice the flowers exist. While it might feel a little bit like being lazy to me, I think it is a healthy change of pace.

1 comment:

susan said...

There isn't a thing wrong with being well and truly lazy for a week. It's a fine way to hit the proverbial reset button. ;)