6/7/10

This may get a little long...

If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in a library?
~Lily Tomlin


When I got married, I wanted to have long, flowing curls. I succeeded in growing my hair out enough to have beautiful ringlets and achieve the look I desired. Promptly after my wedding, I did what many women do post-wedding -- I chopped off my hair. The main problem with my decision was, I went to one of those cheap haircut places and received exactly what I paid for. If anyone ever wants to see the hideous hack job I acquired, you can just take a peek at my license because
the next day, I officially changed my name at the DMV and had my photo taken for my license that doesn't expire until 2049 (no, that's not a joke).

After that point, I went through spurts of growing it out, then getting a "trim" that turned into another hack job. Again, I kept returning to the cheapest places I could find because my motto is, it's just hair...it'll grow back. But eventually, I grew tired of walking into the "salon", excited to get a new style, and leaving disappointed and regretting my choice to pinch pennies. Last summer, after yet another hack job, I made a commitment to go through an entire school year without scissors touching my luscious locks.

It wasn't too difficult at first. Fortunately, my last "trim" created some side bangs that were so short I couldn't do much with it until they grew out. A few months into this experiment, I started second guessing my dedication. I was anxious to even out the layers and remove the split ends; however, I refrained and kept the growing going. A few months later, I started having major breakage problems. Strands of my hair were literally layering every surface of our house, my car, and anywhere I happened to be for any length of time. One morning, I heard JC pronounce, "How did you get your hair on the top of the shower door?" and often, "Geez, your hair is everywhere!" It was similar to those who have indoor pets and find fur on all of their clothes, in their purse, woven into the computer keys... Anyway, I knew if I didn't get a trim, things were going to get a lot worse.

I'm proud to say I made it from July to April without any fatal hair mistakes. On Easter weekend, I managed to actually get the trim I asked for at yet another cheap place. With my new career on the horizon, I decided I would actually pony up some dough for a decent styling at a hip salon today. My idea of "paying for style" was $30 or less. I happened to be out and about with a friend of mine when we wandered into a beauty supply place with a salon in the back. I decided to check out the prices and availability of an appointment. I was greeted by a flamboyant gentleman and saw on the price list that a cut and style was $35. I decided I'd be willing to pay a little extra with hopes of finally getting a great cut after two years of hacks. The gentleman said he could fit me in right away and if I signed up for a discount card, the cut would only be $40. I was confused... "Isn't a cut and style $35?" to which he replied, "Oh, I'm a Master so my cuts are normally $50." On the inside, I chuckled a little. On the outside, I let him know that was little more than I was looking to spend, but thanks anyway. I went back to where my friend was shopping for hair color, and the gentleman came over to inform me he had found a coupon for new customers that would allow me a $30 haircut. Sold!

The cut was/is quite fabulous, but I still wouldn't spend $50. While he was trimming away, he asked if I was a student at ASU. I suppose I should be glad to have such a "youthful" look about me, but I'm hoping my new cut will help me to appear a little more my age, especially now that I can tell people I work at a university.

No comments: