4/28/12

Horsing Around

When it comes to sports, JC and I definitely have different passions. I'll be the first to admit that I have been converted into a semi sports enthusiast, learning the rules, understanding the significance of key plays, and tolerating hours of ESPN. I've sat through my fair share of NFL/NBA drafts, cheered on the "home" teams from both Arizona and Oregon (and sometimes Washington), and have even begun to enjoy sports-related video games.
But deep in my heart, my favorite sport to watch will always be equestrian-related. I truly miss my days of horse riding, and it's always somewhat fulfilling when I have an opportunity to watch professional riders in action. From horse racing to three-day eventing, I do appreciate the occasional televised event. I'm also very thankful that JC has been open, and even eager, to watching these events as well.
This morning, I was taking care of some domestic duties when I received a text from JC: "I'm watching cross country equestrian". It warmed my heart that he chose to tune in for his own enjoyment, but also that he let me know it was on. I quickly wrapped up what I was working on, and ran upstairs to watch.
Cross country is an intense, even dangerous, event for horses and riders alike. It definitely takes a great deal of training, practice, and endurance to travel the course of cumbersome, intimidating hurdles spread across uneven terrain. I remember my sister and I always loved the rare opportunities we had to ride through a cross country course, while my mom always dreaded it. Her reasoning makes sense - if something goes wrong, these obstacles aren't as forgiving as the jumps used in stadium jumping. In fact, JC watched as quite a few riders went flying as their horses refused to jump over giant logs and steep embankments. One can't help but remember the tragic unhorsing of Christopher Reeve on a similar course.
Watching the cross country event this morning really got me thinking - life is really one big cross country course, scattered with treacherous obstacles at seemingly random points with spaces in between when all you can do is anticipate what may lie ahead. Sometimes it's smooth sailing, you and your mount effortlessly gliding up and over the obstacle; other times you become unseated and have to gather the courage to get back up and try a different approach. While cross country competitors always have an opportunity to walk the course before they ride, they can't completely predict how the horse will react. There will always be unexpected objects which cause the horse to spook or refuse, forcing the rider off balance.
As I ride through my cross country course of life, I am thankful my horse has been fairly reliable. There have been a few moments I've lost my seat, but managed to stay in the saddle. I know there are some fairly perilous hurdles looming in the near future, but I am confident I have the ability to charge on and soar over what lies ahead.

1 comment:

madre said...

I love the analogy you described. I miss those days, too. I recently brought in 3 pairs of some old jodphurs for Dr. DeAinza's daughter to borrow. Emma Is 6 and just starting her love affair with horses. As we put them in a bag, Dad and I could hardly believe you and Susan once wore these "small" pants - great memories :)