6/20/10

To sir, with love

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.
~Author Unknown

Teaching in a high-poverty school district, I encountered several single-mom families. Some of my students talked about their dads who were in jail, others mentioned never knowing their dad at all. Looking through their official school files, I discovered many had birth certificates that didn't even list a name in the place a father should be. I heard a few stories that completely broke my heart, knowing these children were lacking a father figure of any kind.

Needless to say, I gained a new appreciation for my dad - a man who will never give himself enough credit for being a wonderful father. From early childhood to the present, I have so many fantastic memories of times when my dad has made a positive impact in my life. It's a well-known fact in my family that I am a total "Mommy's girl", but I have always considered my relationship with my dad to be completely special in its own way. I know I can call him anytime I need advice about cars, computers, taxes, credit cards, home appliances, or anything life may toss my way.
He has spoiled me with material things all my life yet has shown me the important things in life don't cost a dime. I can count on him to love and support me, no matter what, which is probably the greatest gift a parent could offer.

I'm so proud of my dad has he rolls with the punches of life and surges ahead. He is an excellent role model in many ways, and I hope I will have half his determination when I am his age. I love my daddy, and I know he loves me!


1 comment:

Sassy Senior said...

Snif....I'm so pleased that you can express your love and appreciation for your parent's never ending caring and commitment. High Five Amy...xoxoxoxo Yaya & Buddy