6/27/10

Chin up

It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.
~ Lena Home

It's scary how easy it is to feel sorry for yourself. When things aren't going the way you want them to, self-pity is a very enticing emotion. With so many sayings like "Mind over matter" and books like The Secret which preach positive visualization, it still seems like a logical option to take time to really wallow in negativity and grief.

I feel very fortunate that my life has been fairly "uneventful" in respect to tragic events. I have all my limbs intact, my heart was never broken beyond repair, and I am surrounded by people who love me; however, there have definitely been some testing moments where I have found myself broken down with grief and feeling completely hopeless. Pets have always been regarding as a member of the family, so having to deal with their passing was always very difficult. I've had my share of injuries that have threatened my desire to dance and be athletically active. Seeing my parents struggle and being helpless to assist them has definitely taken its toll.

But in the end, I've always made it through and continued to live a wonderful life. I can argue that a moment or two of self-pity is not as damaging to one's outlook and healing as a constant wallowing may be. In fact, I think it's natural to feel sorry for yourself. The important thing is to keep it all in perspective and realize there is always a lesson to be learned - a test of inner-strength. Sure, life's tough, but what are you going to do about it? How you handle those challenges is what makes you a stronger person.

No comments: