5/28/10

Let's give this a try...

Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
~Attributed to Howard Thurman

As I begin a new chapter of my life, I figured it was time to begin chronicling my journey. I was a successful blogger back in the days when Myspace was cool, and I used to write in a journal every night when I was younger, so there is a chance I may be fairly consistent with this thing. I'm not sure how insightful or interesting this may be for others to read, but I suppose it's really more for me than anyone else...though you are welcome to follow along!

At this moment, my plan is to begin each blog with a quote. Over the years, I have become very inspired by other people's words. At one point, JC and I planned to dedicate one wall of our house to quotes. Maybe it will become a reality now that we'll both have a little more time on our hands.

Which leads me to my first quote (see above). For the last four (plus) years, my identity has been "elementary teacher" and nothing else. Over the course of this adventure, I learned a lot about the education system, and about myself. I met some incredible people along the way and experienced more than I could have dreamed. In reality, teaching has brought about more change in my life than anything else I have ever done: moving to Arizona, speaking at a national conference, earning a Masters degree, completing the National Board Certification process... I am so grateful for and proud of all that I have accomplished. Over this time, I have discovered my true passion is for education, not necessarily being an elementary teacher. It was difficult to come to this realization, but I am not at all ashamed of my choice to leave the classroom. There are so many aspects of education that interest me, and I want to experience them all. I am so excited for my new venture in higher education. I'm looking forward to learning new things and focusing on a "top-down" perspective. Children are the future, but adults are the present. We can't possibly impact the future if we don't instigate change in the present. I have always wanted to make a difference, to leave my mark on society. Perhaps it is a bit ambitious (and egotistical?) to think I can become a person that historians write about, but I will never know unless I try.

2 comments:

Sassy Senior said...

Bravo! ACJC's Cyberhome !
I look forward to following your new adventures.
You have always made a difference in my life, now it is the world's turn!
XOXOX Yaya & Buddy

madre said...

I second the motion!