7/2/11

Look out, World

I have always wanted to be the best. Obviously, no one ever goes through life, striving to be mediocre or with a burning desire to fail, so perhaps it seems a bit of a no-brainer to always shoot for excellence. I suppose it would be more accurate to say, I've always been an overachiever. Not only to I "shoot for the moon", but I do everything in my power to do more than "land among the stars". Maybe it was because, growing up, I watched my sister achieve greatness (honestly, who graduates high school with a 4.25 GPA?!), or because I had the complete support of my parents to do whatever I wanted to do with my life (showing horses, studying ballet, competing on the speech team, acting, singing, etc., etc., etc.). I'm really not satisfied to be "one of many", I want to stand out. Some may consider this a personality flaw, and at times, I even frustrate myself with my break-neck desire for high achievement; however, I can honestly say I would not be where I am today if it were not for this passion for pushing limits.
At age 27, I am a homeowner, I hold a Masters degree, I have distinguished myself as a National Board Certificated Teacher, and I am happily married. I am working as the Director of Curriculum and Instruction at a charter high school, making history as the first single-gender public school in our state, and will soon be featured in a nationally-released documentary. I love my professional life, I love my personal life - I'm an all-around satisfied person.
But I'm not finished. This is not the end of my journey. As far as I've come, and as much as I've already accomplished, there are still many milestones I have yet to conquer. The question is, what are my next steps? What direction am I headed in? Is it time to sit back and enjoy the ride, or should I keep pushing to the top? Who knows what opportunities lie ahead, who I will meet along the way, what impact I will leave on society. I want to be someone of note, someone who truly matters, someone who makes a difference.
Is it conceded to want these things for myself, or are these lofty aspirations justifiable?

1 comment:

susan said...

I'm beginning think it's not novel or usual to want to do something that matters, especially as we get older and become more acutely aware of our own mortality. This seems especially...enhanced...by the fact that we're of the "you can do anything you put your mind to" generation. The real question becomes, I think, if you can be okay with mattering intensely to someone (or a small group of people), or if anything less than widescale grandeur is unacceptable.

Not like I think about this sort of thing all the damned time. Not at all.