3/24/11

Home run


I have had the opportunity to live in three different states. Using the logic of "home is where your stuff is", I've actually had 24 homes in my 27 years. Of course, this includes a few transitional "homes" where my family and I lived for mere weeks at a time (3), as well as all of my dorm rooms (5) and places I lived just over the summer (3). From the time I was born to the time I graduated from college, my parents have owned/rented 7 different houses. JC and I lived in 2 different apartments in Oregon before moving to Arizona; we lived in 3 rentals before buying our own home.
This June will celebrate the beginning of our third year in our house - this is the longest I have lived in one place since I was young. Surprisingly, this lack of stability was always a bit of a comfort for me. I enjoyed the opportunity to rearrange/redecorate/reorganize every year or so, rather than feeling displaced. On the other hand, the act of moving was always less of a joy. The physical and emotional stress associated with packing everything I own into boxes, and attempting to do so in an organized manner is definitely not something I miss.
There are many places that I have felt at home - the dance studio, my classroom(s), out in the middle of nature; as cheesy as it may sound, I really feel the most at home within myself.

1 comment:

Sassy Senior said...

Did my own trip down memory lane, was amazed to total 48 moves in my life to date...from coast to coast, etc. Wow! No wonder I have a phobia of cardboard boxes. :) Yaya & Buddy