3/22/11

Dessert in the Desert


If I would have been asked to write about my favorite dessert about a year ago, it would have been very difficult to choose; however, now that I am livin' the dairy-free life, it definitely limits my choices. In general, I'm not the type of person who must have something designated as "dessert" each day. I like sweets, but I'm truly fine with not eating them. I understand the caloric ramifications of things that are filled with sugar, and it has been pretty easy for me (as an adult) to be selective about what I eat. Again, having the dairy excuse also aids in my abstinence; my body tells me I shouldn't eat it, so I guess that means I'd better pass.
That all being said, I will happily indulge from time to time in delectable, non-dairy and dairy-filled treats. Cookies, brownies, cupcakes, cheesecake...delicious. I used to think I didn't like tiramisu, though a recent trip to Giuseppe's turned my world upside down. Dutch apple pie and berry cobbler - two of my pie flavors of choice. Really, I will eat pretty much anything desserty as long as it's delightful enough to be worth devouring.
But if I had to pick my favorite of all desserts, taking all of my dietary concerns into consideration, I would have to go with cookie dough coconut milk ice cream. It is smooth and silky with big chunks of cookie dough and chocolate, and it's dairy-free! There is a slight hint of coconut flavor, though not enough to be overpowering. Health-wise, it's much more reasonable than the traditional alternative. It's something I can feel less guilty about eating and it keeps my stomach happy. I definitely recommend giving it a try if you haven't already.




Did I mention cream puffs and eclairs? Mmmmmm!!!

2 comments:

madre said...

What about those yummy doughnuts with that caramel sauce??

Amy said...

Oh, doughnuts...uh-mazing!